Monday, March 8, 2010

Horizons


















There's a spirit of a storm in my soul
A restlessness that I can seem to tame
Thunder and lightning follow everywhere I go
There's a spirit of a storm in my soul

There's a hurricane that's raging through my blood
And I can't find a way to calm the sea
Maybe I'll find someday the waters aren't so rushed
But right now they've got the best of me

And oh, it's been a long long time
Since I've had real peace of mind
So I'm just going to sit right here
In this old chair till this storm rolls by
Oh maybe it's just the way I am
Maybe I won't ever change
So I'm just going to sit right here
In this old chair and just soak up the rain

There's a spirit of a storm in my soul
Every time I think it's gone away
Dark clouds gather, that old wind begins to blow
The sun's going to shine someday, I hope
There's a spirit of a storm in my soul

Spirit of a Storm - Kenny Chesney

Disclaimer: I am of the firm believe that there is a Kenny Chesney song for every emotion in life. I'm not trying to brag, but I'm pretty sure I have every song Kenny has ever put out...so it's pretty much a fact. :)

This one has been building up in me for a while.....

I love pictures of landscapes. I have hundreds of pictures of them on a slideshow saved on my computer, and every once-in-a-while, I'll turn off the lights and just watch, let my mind wander, and let my imagination take me to those distant lands that are right infront of me, captured on my little 15" monitor.

All of those pictures are beautiful in their own right. Some are brilliant sunsets, some are breathtaking sunrises....some are dry, desert landscapes, some are lazy,winding rivers. All of these pictures, however, have something in common. There is always a horizon, a far off place where we aren't exactly sure what is there, but we are captivated by what is just over the mountain range, or on the other side of the sea.

Why is it that I have this restlessness about me? Kenny says it in a perfect way, "There's a spirit of a storm in my soul." Why am I not satisfied with where my feet are planted? Recently, I've felt anxious.... discontent. Not ungrateful, mind you, just a little tug that reminds me to keep walking. I'm not really sure of the direction, but just to put one foot in front of the other and walk towards that horizon. I'm not sure exactly what's there, or what I'll be doing... but the sun is going to shine someday, I hope.

Up until now, I've been so blessed with my parents, my church, my experiences here at school... but I feel like I'm handcuffed to my life right now. (Does that even make sense?) I feel like a change is in order, and that change is just over that horizon I see in all of those pictures I look at.

It's a risky business, daydreaming, especially in my case. Your mind is a powerful thing, and can take you to wonderful places, even if only for a few minutes (except during class....ahem). But risky is an "ok" thing for me right now. Take some risks. Go and see what's on the other side. Don't be comfortable. Maybe it's time to ride the waves....

No comments:

Post a Comment